I am a split personality. I want to come here and spill my guts and muddy the screen with my dirty confessions. And then I want to post pictures of my sunshine boy and ramble about how lovely and wonderful he is. I guess that’s why it’s been so long since I’ve posted. I never know what to say or where to focus. But the truth is my life is both. It is ugly and falling apart and beautiful and glowing. Even when I lock myself up, Jonah keeps me bathed in light.
And that’s what I’ve done, I guess. My switch has flipped to off. It’s not even flickering anymore. I don’t know what else there is to do except just say it: I believe my marriage is over. I am good at lying and hiding so I can feel the surprise of those of you who have known me for so long. I don’t let on. I don’t like to fail. So I stuff things away and pretend they are not there. But there’s no hiding it anymore. I just can’t. I am so tired of pretending and being unhappy. I relate now to my dad than I ever have before – I want to run away and disappear. My instinct to flee is so strong and overwhelming. Only my son keeps me rooted here. It’s torture being home. Kevin knows – we talked about it a few weeks ago. I think he senses how serious it is, though I didn’t say the heavy words. I wish I could point to something and say: This Is Why. But there is no one thing, only an accumulation of things that have left me empty and broken and unwilling to even try and put it right. I have made a gesture by agreeing to attend counseling. But not even together, I only agreed to go on my own. I am trying to find the nerve to call. At this point I feel like what I am seeking from counseling is not a solution to keep my marriage together, but rather a way to get out of it with as little damage as possible. I am consumed by guilt because of what I will do to my son. This child who I would defend with everything I have… it is me who will give him this first big hurt. I have wrestled with staying for him. In fact I have already been doing that for so long. But I have to believe it is better for him to see me seek happiness and be true than to live in a miserable lie. I would want him to be happy. Still, my heart aches at the slash I am making in his family.
I can’t even talk about this with anyone. Everyone wants to fix me or to give me advice. No one wants to just listen. I have not told many people either. And those who I have told, have only been given a sketch. The details… My details. I can’t bring myself to speak openly and show how black I can be inside. Today Tommy called me. I miss him so much. He told me he wants to come visit me, have dinner, talk like we used to and have not done for such a long time. And I told him yes, yes, please come. I told him my marriage is sinking. I could hear his surprise. But he only said he would be here soon, hopefully Saturday. We hung up and he sent me a text, a sweet wonderful message of reassurance. I hope he can come this weekend. I feel like I might be able to tell him the whole sordid truth. I feel like he might not offer me empty solutions, but only simple and pure friendship. I need it so badly right now.
Wednesday, April 23, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Oh sweetie, I'm so sorry. I worried that this might be what you were going through. I'm so sorry you don't have anyone to talk to who will just listen. No well-meaning advice giver in the world can possibly have agonized over this more than I know you must have, so they can't know what you should or shouldn't do. It's so hard, and I so wish there was something I could do to make it less so. Email me any time- if you're anything like me, sometimes writing is easier than talking.
Geez, I wish there were something to say besides "I'm sorry". (Or the ever-popular *hugs*) Hang in there Clair. You're stronger than this thing.
clair... xoxoxoxo. we'll talk soon.
Something in me, this whole past week has said "Call Clair" and I didn't listen to it. I know I don't call much. I just felt something was wrong but figured I was being silly. I'm sorry I didn't call.
I wish there was more that I could do or say. But I'm here if you need anything.
Damn me for not reaching out before. I knew this was it, and have been meaning to offer myself as a friend. We've been in a similar hard place lately. We worked it through, more or less, but things are still not easy with the birth of Will. And it's very hard to talk about with anyone because he is such a great guy and involved father.
Email me any time. NO advice, promise, just an ear and a shoulder.
Post a Comment