Monday, January 21, 2008

Too much music and too many books

My sugar sweet is so attainable
This behavior so unexplainable
The days just slip and slide
Like they always did
The trouble is my head
Won't let me forget
-The Killers Why Do I Keep Counting

I think I have an aversion to complete and total happiness. Right now I have so many things in my life that make me intensely happy and satisfied. But I am like a child, fickle and easily wooed by something shiny and new, quick to discard things previously beloved. I slip into an old version of myself. It is part nostalgia, and part a desire to reinvent myself in old clothes. A strange dichotomy to be sure. A phase, I imagine. Or at least I hope. I have been a lot of who I thought I should be. But for some reason I want to morph that should-be with want-to-be. I have silly and wistful dreams about leaving everything behind, except my son, and deciding who I am all over again.

4 comments:

tiffany said...

this is one of the many reasons why we are friends.

Shauna said...

I love that you're always so honest about your feelings. I think that's part of what makes your writing so compelling.

Shauna said...

As far as the Kiddie Kandids thing goes, I really don't hate them. I just think I have the sort of stuff they did in the eighties stuck in my head- lots of cheesy props like little washtubs and signs that say "baths, 5 cents". Do you have any idea what I'm talking about? I don't think they really do that stuff anymore.

Not that Kiddie Kandids is even an option for us- Lucy starts screaming the second we walk in to the mall, I can only imagine how pleased she would be if we expected her to pose for pictures while we were there.

Bekah said...

I can understand that feeling. I know I say this all the time, but I love reading what you write. You are a great writer and very honest and I love reading it. I also love the pictures of Jonah too!